Last Update 10:14
Saturday, 21 October 2017

UPDATE 4: South Sinai deadly buses collision leaves 38 killed; drivers detained

The government has detained the drivers for questioning and a drug test; a criminal act so far ruled out; 19 bodies unidentified; road might lack radar (GALLERY)

Hany El-Asmar, Friday 22 Aug 2014
Rescue workers retrieving bodies from scene of the accident
(Photo: Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 7367
Share/Bookmark
Views: 7367

South Sinai prosecutor, Mohamed Abdel-Salam, has ordered the detainment of the two drivers of two buses that collided early Friday morning in South Sinai leading to the deaths of 38 passengers and the injury of 41 others.

The prosecution plans to question the injured drivers and conduct a drug test once their condition allows.

A team from the prosecution also headed to Sharm El-Sheikh International Hospital and El-Tor General Hospital, where the injured were transferred, to listen to their testimonies.

At least 38 were killed and 41 injured in the early hours of Friday when two tourist buses collided in Egypt’s South Sinai on the El-Tor - Sharm El-Sheikh freeway, a ministry of health official had told Ahram Arabic news website.20 of the 41 injured have been discharged, Abdel-Salam said.

He added that the authorities have not been able yet to identify 19 bodies, including two children, among the 38 dead .

14 bodies have been identified so far, he said.

Burial permite have been issued for 33 bodies, he added.

Hatem Amin, the head of South Sinai security directorate, has ruled out any criminal foul play describing the disaster as a road accident.

Bodies of the killed and injured were retrieved from the wreckage, Undersecretary of the Ministry of health in South Sinai governorate Mohamed Lasheen said.

Lasheen added that thirty ambulances were immediately sent to the scene of the accident.

Later in the day, the health ministry sent additional ambulances and rescue workers to transport the bodies of the killed to hospitals.The additional ambulances were dispatched from the neighbouring governorates of Ismailia, Suez and North Sinai.

The two buses were carrying around 80 passengers from Cairo to Sharm El-Sheikh resort including 4 foreign tourists: two Saudi nationals, a Yemeni and a Ukrainian tourist who are among the injured.

All those who were killed are Egyptians.

Thirty-seven of the injured were transported to Sharm El-Sheikh International Hospital, while four were transported to El-Tor Sinai General Hospital.

The road was closed for three hours to facilitate access for ambulances.

A team from South Sinai’s prosecution was sent to the scene to investigate the cause of the accident. The prosecution also delegated a technical team to examine the buses and determine their speed at the time of the collision.

The governor of South Sinai Khaled Fouda stressed that El-Tor International road meets international standards.

However, an anonymous source in the South Sinai governorate told Ahram Arabic newswebsite that El-Tor International road, starting from the Ahmed Hamdi tunnel, which links the two banks of Suez Canal, until the city of Sharm lacks radar services.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), road accidents are considered one of the main causes of death in the country.

Around 18 people were killed daily in road accidents in Egypt in 2013, according to a recent report from the Central Agency for Public Mobilisation and Statistics (CAPMAS), the country's statistical body.

A total of 50,051 accidents took place in 2013, 0.04 percent higher than in 2012, according to the report, with the highest number of accidents occurring in December (5,105).

Rescue workers on the scene of the deadly crash near Sharm (Video: Ahram)

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
3



Onam Abdullah
23-08-2014 01:19pm
0-
1+
Resign
How come no one is taking responsibility, during SCAF rule the minister of transport resigned to take responsibility and show seriousness. For these lot loss of lives is business as usual.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
2



Fair Egyptian
22-08-2014 10:16pm
0-
3+
Egypt's roads and railways have a notoriously poor safety record.
Every international news agents used the above sentence To report the divesting accident near the popular tourist resort. The solution is easy. Teach the people to respect traffic laws.Fine them extensively if they do not.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



Aladdin@gmail.com
22-08-2014 12:52pm
0-
11+
Blind Drivers
Our police should strengthen the requirements for bus drivers and require vision test by eye doctors like all civilized nations.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.