Egyptian foreign minister Sameh Shoukry vehemently denied news of his country's military intervention in Libya, stressing that the news has been made up by the media.
"What is being circulated in the media regarding military intervention in Libya are rumours," said the foreign minister during a press conference on Tuesday.
He added that Egypt supports "Libyan legitimacy and the needs and training of the Libyan armed forces.”
In response to a question regarding comments made by US officials to the New York Times that accused Egypt and the UAE of carrying out a series of airstrikes in Libya last week, Shoukry said that he has not read any such " official American statement.”
"Maybe they are only rumours being spread in the media, not everything said in the media is credible," he said.
Shoukry's comments came Tuesday following a meeting between him and several Libyan officials including the foreign minister, head of parliament and chief of staff. The officials met earlier on Tuesday with President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi.