Two young men's bodies have been found decapitated in Egypt's North Sinai, south of Rafah city, early Sunday morning.
Local witnesses told Reuters' Aswat Masriya website that unidentified assailants kidnapped the two men the previous day and that their corpses were found later in a desert area.
Police say they are investigating the incident and suggest that "jihadists could be behind it.”
North Sinai locals have found several decapitated corpses recently amid continuous unrest in the peninsula.
On Friday, locals found the decapitated head of a young man who had also been kidnapped.
And two weeks ago, residents discovered four decapitated bodies of men in the North Sinai town of Sheikh Zuweid. Security forces said the victims, abducted two days earlier, might have been targeted for perceived cooperation with the army and police.
A video released Thursday, attributed to the Sinai-based militant group Ansar Bayt Al-Maqdis, showed the beheading of four Egyptian men, accusing them of providing information that helped an Israeli drone strike kill three of the group's fighters last month.
Meanwhile, security forces told state news agency MENA on Sunday that a security operation south of Al-Arish and Sheikh Zuweid "killed a jihadist, arrested 12 suspects and eliminated 39 terrorist hotbeds".
Egyptian troops in the Sinai Peninsula, adjoining Israel and the Palestinian Gaza Strip, are fighting an Islamist insurrection that has worsened since the army's popularly-backed ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.