The presiding judge in the trial of ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak cited his health conditions as being behind the decision to postpone the verdict until 29 November.
The verdict was set to be announced on Saturday.
Judge Mahmoud El-Rashidi, president of Cairo Criminal Court, told Reuters' affiliated Aswat Masriya news website in a statement that he had been hospitalised a day before the anticipated verdict and was escorted to the court session on Saturday by a medical team.
An eye and vertebral column condition prevented him from drafting the court's decision, he said, and he will go to France for medical treatment, Aswat Masriya reported.
Mubarak, former interior minister Habib El-Adly and six of El-Adly's aides are being retried on charges of complicity in the killing of around 850 unarmed protesters during the 2011 uprising that ended his 30-year rule.
The judge also responded to accusations that the postponement was due to political reasons, mentioning his decision to air footage of the case's documents on TV to show the magnitude of the case.