Last Update 22:6
Friday, 18 October 2019

Egypt's Gamaa Islamiya considers exiting pro-Morsi bloc

Several groups have withdrawn from the National Alliance to Support Legitimacy recently; Gamaa Islamiya could follow

Ahram Online , Wednesday 10 Dec 2014
NASL big
Members of National Alliance to Support Legitimacy during the press conference (Photo: Al-Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1943
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1943

Egypt's ultraconservative group Gamaa Islamiya says it is considering withdrawing from the pro-Morsi Islamist bloc, the National Alliance to Support Legitimacy (NASL), Ahram Massai (Al-Ahram's evening edition) reported.

Several parties have recently left NASL, led by the banned Muslim Brotherhood.

Awad Hattab, ex-head of the group in the Nile Delta town of Damietta, told Ahram Massai that group leaders are holding meetings to discuss withdrawing from NASL.

Egyptian media outlets also quoted other Gamaa Islamiya figures as reporting the same news.

According to Hattab, leaders are considering withdrawal after pressure from a reform wing within the party.

Recently other parties exited the pro-Morsi alliance, including the Al-Wasat Party and the Salafist Al-Watan Party.

Gamaa Islamiya was responsible for the assassination of President Anwar El-Sadat in 1981. It is also held responsible for the murder of 58 tourists and four Egyptians in an attack in Luxor in 1997.

The group formed a political party under the name "Building and Development" after the 2011 revolution and won 13 seats in the Shura Council election of 2011-12.

It has played a key role in NASL, which was established in the wake of last year's ouster of president Mohamed Morsi, protesting the removal of the elected president and calling for his reinstatement.

Egyptian authorities have mounted a sustained crackdown on NASL since Morsi's ouster.

Security forces forcibly dispersed two large sit-ins in August 2013, killing hundreds. Thousands of Islamist loyalists, including top leaders, have been detained on charges of violence, inciting murder and unauthorised protest.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



expat
10-12-2014 09:42pm
0-
1+
this is only possible in egypt..
this truely freaking headshoppers "are considering" what? this morroons were killing tourists in 97 is there any state in the world who would ever approve,that after this this "a......s could ever again gain the national stage? well,thats only possible in egypt,and truely to the people of egypt,which are dear to me,i got sooo sick of this get every guy of this flock a bullet,he deserves it!
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.