Last Update 11:0
Monday, 19 November 2018

At least 6 dead, including civilian, in Arish suicide bomb attack

Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis has claimed responsibility for the attack, the second to be claimed by the Islamic State group affiliate out of three attacks in North Sinai on Sunday that have left at least 12 dead

Ahram Online , Sunday 12 Apr 2015
el-Arish
Egyptians gather around the crater following a bombing that struck a main police station in the capital of the northern Sinai province in Al-Arish, Egypt, Sunday, April 12, 2015 (Photo: AP)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 6169
Share/Bookmark
Views: 6169

Six, including at least one civilian, were killed on Sunday when a bomb-laden vehicle exploded near the Third Police Station in North Sinai's Al-Arish, a common target for militants in the restive peninsula.

A suicide bomber sought to ram a van laden with explosives into a checkpoint in the vicinity of the police station, the interior ministry said. The vehicle exploded when police forces opened fire at it, killing at least five policemen, according to the statement.

Health ministry spokesman Hossam Abdel-Ghafar later told Ahram Online the death toll had risen to six, with at least one civilian among the deceased. He said 40 were also injured.

Both policemen and civilians were injured in the blast, the interior ministry's statement also said.

Final death and injury tolls have yet to be announced, with counting still ongoing, Abdel-Ghafar said.

An exchange of gunfire and ambulances were heard following the huge explosion, which reportedly created a large crater and shattered house windows near the police station.

Militant group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis has claimed responsibility for the attack, which came hours after another operation that they also claimed.

A first lieutenant, a sergeant and four conscripts were killed earlier on Sunday when their armoured vehicle was attacked on the highway from Al-Arish to Sheikh Zuweid, North Sinai. Two other soldiers were injured and taken to the Arish military hospital.

Later in the day, a third attack on a checkpoint in Rafah left three security personnel injured, after unknown assailants opened fire at them.

So far, at least 12 have been killed in Sunday's militant attacks in North Sinai.

Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis has claimed many attacks against the army and police in Sinai.

Last Friday, the group, which has pledged allegiance to Islamic State militant group, published a graphic video showing the execution of a 20-year-old soldier kidnapped during the group’s 3-April attack on security checkpoints that killed 15 soldiers.

The video also included the beheading of a local man from Sinai for allegedly collaborating with Israeli spy agency Mossad.

Egypt's army has been fighting a decade-long militant Islamist insurgency, which has spiked since the ouster of Muslim Brotherhood president Mohamed Morsi in summer 2013.

Hundreds of police and soldiers, as well as civilians, have been killed in militant attacks in the past months.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
3



Ret. Col: Bahey Elsherbiny
13-04-2015 01:31am
0-
0+
Please, combat terrorism by science
By using remote sensing and any tools to explore explosives & tunnels, where are int. friends who have these tech. Where are the other bodies of the Egypt.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
2



Sherif Shehata
12-04-2015 11:39pm
0-
0+
The time is up.
This is like playing games but the game has limits of time. We know no one can fight against hit and run, suicide bombers and unknowing criminals. So please Mr President, we need to save our soldiers and civilians. 1- We need to shut down all our borders. 2- We need to destroy all underground tunnels. 3- Evacuations within 48 hours and after that Air attacks for 24 hours until everything will be a flat surface and no place to hide for these criminals. Don't cry for me Egypt I am still your Son. God save Egypt.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



Allen
12-04-2015 06:05pm
521-
32+
Terrorists rarely care who will become their eventual victim.
My condolences to the families of the innocent bystanders that were victimized by this crime. I am sure there won't be a reaction by the human rights organizations. They only get outraged when Egypt goes after these criminals.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Aly Sadek -Toronto-Canada
12-04-2015 10:18pm
0-
0+
Egypt..
VERY...VERY..WELL SAID ALLEN..... ...CONGRATS...
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.