Last Update 21:43
Monday, 18 November 2019

Third Luxor attacker still in coma: Hospital officials

An apparent terrorist attack at the Karnak temple site in Luxor was foiled on Wednesday, and two of the three attackers shot dead

Ahram Online , Friday 12 Jun 2015
Luxor
A bazar that was affected by a foiled suicide attack is seen at the scene of the attack in Luxor, Egypt, June 10, 2015. Egyptian security forces foiled a "terrorist attack" in Luxor on Wednesday, killing two attackers and wounding a third (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2564
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2564
A militant who was wounded during a foiled terrorist attack in Luxor this week is in an “unstable” condition, a hospital official announced on Thursday.
 
The alleged attacker, who was not named, is suffering from brain lacerations and is in a coma, the manager of Luxor International Hospital Ahmed Abdel-Nabi told MENA agency.
 
He added that the two policemen and the historical site worker who were injured in the attack left hospital on Thursday evening. 
 
Three militants were halted by police at the entrance to the Karnak temple complex on Wednesday, one of Egypt's most famed ancient sites.
 
The interior ministry said in a statement that three people tried to “trespass” the security checkpoint at the temple “using gunfire and explosive materials”, but it said forces stopped them and “dealt with them” immediately. 
 
Two attackers, it said, were killed "when a bomb one of them was carrying blew up", while the third assailant was injured by a gunshot to the head.
 
However, media reports have been circulating saying prosecutors have “contradicted” police statements. 
 
AFP said on Thursday it had spoken to the Luxor prosecutor in charge of the investigation who said that would-be assailants had been able to enter the temple’s parking lot unhindered and it was a taxi driver who warned police.
 
"They pretended to be tourists and entered the parking lot of the temple without any proper security check," Wael Abu Deif told AFP, citing witnesses.
 
Two men left the taxi and joined a third accomplice at a sidewalk café, he added.
 
"Their suspicious taxi driver then reported them to a policeman, who went to the cafe and asked to search the bags they had. Then one blew himself up and the gunfight started," the prosecutor added.
 
The attack had sparked local and international condemnation, as well as concerns within Egypt about the effect on the country's struggling tourism sector. Security at key touristic and historical sites has been increased.
 
Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab visited Luxor on Thursday and made a trip to Karnak.
 
The temple complex, located on Luxor's east Nile bank, includes temples, chapels and shrines.
 
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.