The US embassy in Cairo issued a short statement condemning the assassination of Egypt's prosecutor-general Hisham Barakat earlier on Monday, describing it as "heinous terrorist attack".
"The US Embassy condemns in the strongest terms the heinous terrorist attack that resulted in the death of Prosecutor General Hisham Barakat and injured several others," the embassy said in a statement published Monday afternoon on its official website.
The embassy added that it extended its deepest condolences to the late prosecutor-general's family, as well all others affected by the attack.
"The United States steadfastly stands with Egypt in the fight against terrorism," said the US embassy.
Egypt's prosecutor-general Hisham Barakat died from his wounds in hospital, after he and nine others were injured earlier on Monday in a bomb attack targeting Barakat's convoy in Heliopolis on his way to work. He was 65 years old.
Barakat was sworn in as Egypt's top prosecutor under the rule of interim president Adly Mansour in July 2013.