Last Update 15:35
Sunday, 17 November 2019

Suicide bomber killed near military base: Egyptian Army

The armed forces and an Islamic state-affiliated group released conflicting statements about what happened during the attack

Ahram Online , Wednesday 15 Jul 2015
Egyptian army
An Egyptian military vehicle is seen on the highway in northern Sinai, Egypt in this May 25, 2015 file photo (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3730
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3730

Egypt's armed forces denied on Wednesday the veracity of claims by an Islamic-state affiliated group that it had successfully bombed a military base on the Katameya-Suez road.

The Sinai Province group, which pledged allegiance to the Islamic State last November, claimed the attack on Twitter and said that it killed a number of military personnel early on Wednesday.

The statement added that the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber identified as "Abu Degana."

An Egyptian army spokesman said the attack began at 5:00 am. Officers shot a white Toyota vehicle after its attempt to get through the security pivot, resulting in the death of the driver and the explosion of the car, without any resulting causalities among security personnel.

Initial investigations showed that at least half a tonnne of TNT explosives were used in the blast. They also revealed the remains of the driver.

The Egyptian army also said they received intelligence information that the group was planning to carry out terrorist attacks around the dates of Eid Al-Fitr, a Muslim religious feast.

"Military operations have been ongoing on since then in response to deadly militant ambushes," the statement read, referring to recent attacks on several checkpoints in North Sinai which left 21 soldiers dead, according to the army.

Sinai Province has claimed responsibility for several of the terror attacks to hit Egypt since Morsi's ouster in July 2013, including the bombing of Cairo's security directorate in January 2014. 

Egypt’s army spokesman Mohamed Samir announced on Sunday that the army had killed 252 alleged militants during raids in North Sinai between 1 and 11 July.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
3



Farhan
16-07-2015 11:02am
466-
0+
Egyptian military is only hiding their causalities to save face.
Just recently they also passed a law to not report any other number than what Egyptian military releases, In world media it was showing more than 60 Egyptian military dead while in Egyptian military press release it was only 17. As usual they are lying again and again.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
2



Aladdin, Alex
15-07-2015 09:16pm
5557-
1144+
Kill to Save Life
I am glade that our troops are getting use to shoot-to-kill.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
1



Aly Sadek - Toronto-Canada
15-07-2015 07:19pm
2222-
1549+
Egypt...EL SISI
.. NOW THE SUICIDE SICKO IS IN HELL "BURNING IN PEACE".
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.