Last Update 10:31
Sunday, 19 May 2019

No forced evictions of locals: Minister of urban development to Maspero Triangle residents

Contradicting earlier statements by Cairo governor over the future of the Maspero Triangle area, Minister of Urban Development Laila Iskander insists that no residents will be forcibly displaced

Zeinab El-Gundy , Wednesday 22 Jul 2015
Egypt
File Photo: A woman walk down Sheikh Mohamed El-Qassem’s alley in Cairo's Maspero triangle, where over the past few years several buildings have collapsed (Photo: Randa Ali)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3107
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3107
Laila Iskander, Egypt's Minister of State for Urban Renewal and Informal Settlements, has said that there will be no forced evictions of local residents in the Maspero Triangle, following statements by Cairo Governor Galal Saeed saying the opposite earlier this week. 
 
In statements made to local TV channel CBC Extra while visiting the area surrounding the bombed Italian Consulate earlier this week , Governor Saeed spoke about "eventual" evication of local residents out of the Maspero Triangle area in order to continue urban development plans.
 
"People are extremely angry after hearing those statements. They even considered suing Cairo govrnorate," Mahmoud Shaaban, a member of the Maspero Association to Defend the Land and the Right for Housing, told Ahram Online. 
 
Shaaban said that representatives of local residents of Maspero met with Minister Iskander Tuesday to discuss with her the governor's statements and she assured them that there would be no forced evictions. 
 
"The minister said there will be no forced evictions and that there will be only temporary, partial and gradual evictions of local residents in the triangle, till new houses and units are built there replacing our old homes." He added saying Iskander made it clear that her ministry was the only official entity involved when it comes to the Maspero development plans.  
 
"She also told us that the Cairo governor did not mean the whole area of Maspero Triangle, and that he meant only the residents of the severly damaged houses besides the Italian Consulate," Shaaban added. 
 
Currently there are up to 54 houses in the area that are being restored by the government after sustaining damage in the Italian Consulate bombing last week. 
 
The dispute over the 74 feddans (approximately 77 acres) Maspero Triangle goes back three decades at least, when development projects began to be proposed and Gulf investors began to acquire buildings and blocks of land in the area. 
 
The majority of local residents in the triangle, in the heart of Cairo, rejected leaving their homes in lieu of compensation, insisting on living there. 
 
Recently a number of NGOs, including Madd Platform, helped local residents reach agreement with the Ministry of Urban Development as well Cairo governorate and investors over the future of the area, whereby local reisdents will continue to reside in new houses that are to be built. 
 
There are at least 18,000 people currently living in the Maspero Triangle area. 
 
When the Italian Consulate in Downtown Cairo was bombed earlier in July one Egyptian street vendor was killed and several others injured. 
 
The Islamic State's affiliated group in Egypt, Sinai Province, claimed responsibility for the bombing in a statement published on social media sites.
Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.