Abdel Hamid Abaza, deputy minister of health, has said that his ministry has no proof that ousted president Hosni Mubarak is suffering from cancer.
Mubarak, who has been formally charged of ordering the killing of peaceful protesters during the January 25 Revolution and of abusing his unfettered political power to accumulate illicit wealth, is currently held in police custody at Sharm El-Sheikh International Hospital.
A medical committee consisting of six doctors, including four cardiologists, previously said the 83-year-old mustn’t be moved from Sharm El-Sheikh due to multiple health problems as well as severe depression, amid calls to transfer him to Tora Prison along with a multitude of former regime figures.
Farid El-Deeb, Mubarak's lawyer, had claimed last week that the ousted president is suffering from cancer at an advanced stage, caliming as well that the Health Ministry's medical committee had confrimed this in a report. For its part, the MOH neither confirmed nor denied El-Deeb's claims. In its latest statement, however, the ministry also said it had no details regarding the operation Mubarak underwent in Germany in March 2010. At the time it was announced that Mubarak had gallbladder surgery, while others speculated that it was a bowel cancer operation.
“This operation remains mysterious up to now,” Abaza said Saturday. “The committee sent by the prosecutor general and led by Osama Soliman might have found out that he has cancer, but we cannot confirm that. The ministry has not been told anything in this regard.”
Mubarak will soon be examined by the same German doctor who operated on him last year.