Last Update 11:0
Monday, 06 July 2020

Egyptian court upholds Morsi fine of LE250 million in prison break case

Death sentences in the case are still subject to appeal; LE250 million fine in compensation payable to the interior ministry confirmed

Ahram Online , Sunday 13 Dec 2015
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1504
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1504

An Egyptian judical panel upheld Sunday a LE250 million fine imposed on former president Mohamed Morsi and other Muslim Brotherhood figures as compensation for damages caused during the Wadi Natroun Prison break during the 2011 uprising.

In June 2015, a Cairo criminal court sentenced Morsi and five other top Brotherhood figures, including Mohamed Badie, Saad El-Katatni and Essam El-Erian, to death over charges of  "damaging and setting fire to prison buildings," "murder," "attempted murder," "looting prison weapons depots" and "releasing prisoners" while escaping from the prison located outside Cairo. 

The court also ruled that defendants should pay the interior ministry LE250 million as compensation, before the defendants appealed the verdict.

However, Ahmed Massoud, a litigator for Egypt's State Lawsuits Authority, which is a judicial entity that represents the state in lawsuits, told Aswat Masriya that a special civil panel for compensation issued a final verdict upholding the same fine amount. The death sentence is still being appealed.

"The compensation will be taken from Muslim Brotherhood frozen assets supervised by the state," he said.

Abdel-Moniem Abdel-Maqsod, Morsi's lawyer, descibed Sunday's verdict as "illegal".

"The whole case is being appealed by the defandants including the amount of money, and no final verdict had been issued, so the panel's desicion doesn't make sense," the lawyer said.

A total of 129 people are on trial in this case, with only 27 in custody. The court has sentenced 21 of the defendants to life in prison, including Islamic preacher Safwat Hegazy and leading Brotherhood figure Mohamed El-Beltagy.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.