Egypt’s Postal Authority released a postal stamp to commemorate 140 years since the establishment of Al-Ahram Institution.
Two Lebanese brothers, Beshara and Saleem Takla, founded Al-Ahram in 1875.
The newspaper started initially as a weekly publication, with the first issue published on 5 August 1876 in Mansheya district of the cosmopolitan Mediterranean city Alexandria.
The paper turned into a daily publication two months following its release.
Fast-forward 140 years later, the public-owned Al-Ahram, currently located in historic downtown Cairo, has newspaper publications and online news websites in Arabic, English and French.
Al-Ahram has news offices in all of Egypt’s governorates as well as in some major cities around the world.
It also has a university, Al-Ahram Canadian University, a tourism company and an advertising company.
The post retails for LE2 (around $0.30), it features the Al-Ahram logo, the number 140 in red, an old issue of the daily paper, and the photo of one of the founders, Beshara Takla.