Egypt handed Italian authorities on Thursday a 2,000-page report with testimonies from 200 people regarding the probe over the torture and death in Egypt of Italian PhD student Giulio Regeni, official Italian news agency ANSA reported.
Regeni, who was in Cairo conducting research on independent trade unions, went missing on 25 January. His body was found bearing signs of torture on a roadside on the outskirts of Cairo on 3 February.
The report presented to Italy includes "evidentiary material" that Italian authorities had requested several weeks ago, including video footage, phone records and medical reports.
It is not yet clear whether Italian authorities will find the documents presented by Egypt to be satisfactory, as Italian investigators had previously said that they find “inconsistencies” in Egypt’s account of Regeni’s death.
These doubts were expressed by Italian officials after the Egyptian interior ministry said that Regeni’s belongings, including his passport, were found in possession of an alleged gang of kidnappers whom the ministry says was targeting foreigners for robbery.
The four alleged gang members were killed in a shootout with police before the documents were found in a Cairo apartment used by the gang, according to the ministry.
ANSA reported that Italian investigators may request information on whether or not Regeni was under surveillance prior to his abduction, especially during his meetings with independent unions.
The Egyptian and Italian officials are expected to discuss Regeni's case for two days starting Thursday.
The meetings are being held at a police academy in Rome and attended by Italian top prosecutor Giuseppe Pignatone and three other Italian officials.
The Egyptian delegation is made up of five officials – two judges and three police officers – headed by Mustafa Soliman, the assistant to the Egyptian prosecutor-general.