Last Update 19:40
Sunday, 25 August 2019

Egyptian interior ministry says many off-duty police no longer carry weapons

Ahram Online , Wednesday 20 Apr 2016
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1254
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1254

Egypt’s interior ministry said it has partially withdrawn arms from many off-duty policemen, amid outcry after a policeman killed one and injured two after a street quarrel reportedly over the price of a cup of tea, on Tuesday.

The incident in the eastern Cairo suburb is the latest in a series of similar police killings that have sparked public anger.

Interior ministry media advisor Abu Bakr Abdel-Karim said on Tuesday that the ministry is in the process of withdrawing weapons from "many" low-ranking policemen, especially “those proved to have misused" them.

He added in comments to a local TV programme that those who might be subjected to danger outside of their working hours will continue to keep their weapons.

Demands for disarming security sources during their non-working hours increased in recent months after a similar incident in February in which a policemen shot dead a driver in the street in an argument over a fare.

Abdel-Karim added that the ministry is continuously evaluating police performance and is taking measures against violations by security personnel. This includes suspension from work, end of service, or severe administrative sanctions.

Interior Minister Magdy Abdel-Ghaffar stressed earlier on Tuesday that  “no one is above the law,” adding that the ministry is working towards “purging” itself of violators.

He added that the ministry aims at establishing a new policy of dealing with citizens which “values [their] dignity and preserves their rights.”

The interior ministry said in a statement that Tuesday’s incident occurred after a  policeman got into an argument with a street vendor over "the price of a drink" and shot him dead, injuring two others in the process.

The policeman has been ordered detained for four days pending investigations.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Al
20-04-2016 03:57pm
0-
4+
Incompetent minister protecting thugs!
Interior ministry media advisor Abu Bakr Abdel-Karim said on Tuesday that the ministry is in the process of withdrawing weapons from "many" low-ranking policemen, especially “those proved to have misused" them.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.