Ambassador of the Republic of Belarus to Egypt Sergei Rachkov said that his country resumed flights to the Red Sea resort of Sharm El-Sheikh in Egypt's South Sinai Wednesday after a five-month halt, MENA reported.
Following the downing of a Russian airliner in November 2015 that killed all 224 passengers, the Belarusian foreign ministry recomended tourists refrain from visiting Egypt.
Rachkov told MENA that his country did not issue a travel ban to Egypt. Tourist numbers, however, decreased following the Russian airliner incident.
Earlier Russia imposed a ban on air travel to Egypt. This decision influenced Belarusian tourists who intended to fly to Egyptian resorts out of Moscow.
Belarusians ranks second in number of nationals who visit Egypt annually as tourists.
Last month, Egypt hired a British security firm to reevaluate security measures in place at its airports.
At the time of the airliner crash, it was believed that 80,000 Russian citizens stayed in Hurghada alone.