Egypt's former top auditor Hisham Geneina attended a hearing before the State Security prosecution on Tuesday over a report he issued on government corruption, with the investigation into his allegations set to be completed next week.
Geneina was summoned on Monday for questioning over his report claiming that theft by public officials has cost the treasury LE600 billion since 2012.
"Surprisingly, the prosecution told me that I have not been charged with anything so far, and that I was summoned to clarify some points for the investigation," Geneina told Ahram Arabic website.
However, he added that the prosecution refused to let his lawyers attend the hearing.
He also said that the prosecution informed him that there would be another hearing on Sunday, though he said he would not attend unless official charges are filed against him.
"I have nothing more to say," he added.
In January, the country's top prosecutor issued a gag order on Geneina's report.
In March, a presidential decree dismissed Geneina from his post and appointed his deputy, Hesham Badawy, as the acting head of the Central Auditing Agency.
Following his dismissal, the State Security prosecution said that Geneina had exaggerated the sums lost to corruption by referring to violations that took place prior to 2012, and that he had abused his position as head auditor in gathering documents to make his case.