Last Update 18:39
Saturday, 22 September 2018

18 detained over sectarian violence in Beni Suef

The Beni Suef violence is the latest in a series of sectarian based incidents in Egypt's south

Ahram Online , Sunday 24 Jul 2016
ٍSecurity forces vehicles in Beni Suef (Photo:Ahram Arabic news website)
ٍSecurity vehicles are seen in Beni Suef village following recent sectarian violence (Photo: Ahram Arabic news website)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3408
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3408

Egyptian prosecutors ordered the detention of 18 people in connection with sectarian violence that took place Friday in a village in Beni Suef, the latest in a series of such attacks in recent weeks.

The incident was sparked by a group of Muslim youngsters who hurled stones at a Christian-owned building in Al-Kharsa village after reports its owner would turn it into a church without a license. Security forces intervened to ease the situation and security cordons were put up around houses in the village.

Prosecutors Sunday ordered 18 people detained for four days over the violence, a judicial source said.

They face charges of "disrupting public peace and assaulting personal freedoms" and "damaging the house and a car of a Coptic villager."

A local housing committee ordered a halt to development work of the house of local Nnadi Yacoub, saying he violated the issued license.

Christians, who make up about 10 percent of Egypt's population of 90 million, have long complained of discrimination and sectarian attacks in the predominantly Sunni Muslim country.

The incident in Beni Suef is the latest in a wave of sectarian incidents in the country's south.

Last week, a Muslim mob stabbed a Coptic Christian to death during a street argument in the southern governorate of Minya.

The attack prompted President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi to warn against attempts to "drive a wedge" between Egyptians and vowed to hold violations to account.

Days earlier, a group of Muslims attacked and torched houses of Christians in the village of Abu-Yacoub, also in Minya. The Family House, a group of Muslim and Christian leaders that promotes peaceful coexistence, said Saturday reconcilation was successfuly reached between warring families in that village, while settlement efforts continue elsewhere.

In May, Muslim villagers torched seven homes of Christians and assaulted a Christian man's elderly mother, parading her naked in public. The assault in Minya's El-Karm village was sparked by rumours that the man was having an illicit relationship with a Muslim woman.

That attack sparked public outcry and prompted El-Sisi to pledge action on sectarian incidents.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.