The dead sharks that washed ashore on a Damietta beach on Thursday are from a species that doesn't attack humans, the chief of a governmental committee tasked to look into the incident has said.
Egyptian Environment Minister Khaled Fahmy had earlier ordered the beach where the incident occurred, in the northern town of New Damietta, to be closed until it was inspected by a specialised team, and swimming in the area was banned.
The committee--formed by the country's environment ministry and included members from the Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA)--inspected the area on Thursday afternoon.
Committee chief Mohamed Salem Abdel-Rahman said that the beach was safe, and that there was no reason for the beach to remain closed.
The committee didn't reveal which shark species it had identified.
In June, Egypt imposed a temporary ban on sport fishing and offshore swimming near the popular Red Sea destination of Ain Sokhna, where a shark attack took place. Officials at the time said the attack was likely caused by a combination of fishing and swimming in the same spot.