Last Update 11:18
Monday, 03 August 2020

Egypt bans statues without official approval after public outrage

AFP , Wednesday 7 Sep 2016
Statue
A statue was taken down in Minya province after it was widely mocked for its distorted depiction of Egypt's legendary 14th-century beauty Queen Nefertiti
Share/Bookmark
Views: 5032
Share/Bookmark
Views: 5032

Egypt banned on Wednesday statues in squares that do not have prior approval from the authorities after public outrage over controversial and unattractive sculptures across the country.

Authorities ordered a statue in the Sohag province be altered this week after it sparked a wave of anger and mockery online over its apparent portrayal of a man sexually harassing a woman.

"It is forbidden to set up or renovate statues, murals or sculptures in Egypt's public squares except after a thorough review by the ministries of antiquities and culture," said Prime Minister Sherif Ismail.

A cabinet official who asked to remain anonymous said the decision came after "the repeated setting up in the country's squares of bad statues that do not conform with Egypt's deep-rooted history".

The controversial statue of a soldier hugging a woman from behind in Sohag's town of Balyana was the latest in a series of statues that have become a laughing stock on social media.

Balyana's town mayor said the statue was intended to portray a "martyred soldier hugging his mother".

"People understood it wrong," Adli Abu Aqeel said, adding its sculptor had been asked to alter the design to a woman on her own holding up Egypt's flag.

Another statue was taken down in recent months in Minya province after it was widely mocked for its distorted depiction of Egypt's legendary 14th-century beauty Queen Nefertiti.

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.