Last Update 0:15
Wednesday, 23 October 2019

Libyan refugees not granted asylum in Egypt’s Salloum starting Sunday

UNHCR says Libyan refugees will not be granted asylum in Egypt’s Salloum starting Sunday

Ahram Online , Friday 21 Oct 2011
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2654
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2654

Andrej Mahecic, spokesperson of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), said Libyan refugees will not be granted asylum in Egypt’s Salloum starting Sunday.

“Effective Sunday, newly arriving third country nationals from Libya at Egypt's Salloum border will not be processed for resettlement by UNHCR,” he said, according to an UNHCR press release.

“People already at Salloum will not be affected and work will continue on finding solutions for them, including resettlement for those found to be refugees. But anyone arriving after Sunday and seeking resettlement will no longer be processed for resettlement.”

Salloum has been one of the main sites over recent months for people fleeing the crisis in Libya. Since the start of the conflict in February 37,866 third-country nationals have been evacuated from Salloum by IOM and UNHCR.

In addition, some 900 refugees have been submitted for resettlement, with 163 having departed so far.

“The decision to halt further resettlement out of Salloum is based on a marked improvement in the situation in eastern Libya, and because UNHCR is refocusing its protection and assistance efforts inside Libya including RSD and resettlement,” Mahecic continued.

“At Salloum we have started to see arrivals of people who were neither residents of Libya, nor affected by the conflict there – such people fall outside the scope of the Salloum operation objectives of helping Egypt meet the humanitarian and protection needs of people displaced by fighting in Libya.

“As of 20 October there were 1,816 people still at Salloum. Approximately half of these people have been submitted for resettlement, and most others are awaiting the completion of refugee status determination. Prior to the crisis in Libya there were some 11,000 refugees and asylum-seekers registered there with UNHCR. More are expected to register in the near future.

“UNHCR offices in Tripoli and Benghazi are providing assistance to several groups in Tripoli, Kufrah and Gariyet. Through cash-for-work schemes, UNHCR is seeking to facilitate progressive self-reliance and urban integration of refugees and asylum-seekers.

“UNHCR staff operate hotlines, conduct counseling sessions, and do regular home visits. Basic cash assistance, medical care and educational support continue to be important during this period of transition.”

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.