Last Update 22:54
Sunday, 08 December 2019

International bodies condemn North Sinai's terrorist attacks

Statements from the United Nations, European Union and the United States denounced Monday's deadly attacks on two North Sinai security checkpoints

Ahram Online , Tuesday 10 Jan 2017
U.N Security Council
U.N. Security Council demands elimination of Syria chemical arms. (Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2253
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2253

International bodies denounced the Monday terrorist attack on two checkpoints in Egypt's North Sinai governorate, which left eight policemen and one civilian dead.

In a statement on Monday evening, the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) denounced the attack and sent its condolences to the Egyptian government and the families of the victims. 

The UNSC urged states to work in cooperation with relevant authorities to bring those responsible for terrorist acts to justice, state-owned news agency MENA reported.

On Tuesday, US National Security Council (NSC) spokesperson Ned Price affirmed his country remains firmly committed to Egypt's security and will continue to support the Government of Egypt as it contends with ongoing threats from terrorist groups in the Sinai and elsewhere.”

A statement from the European Union on Tuesday described the attack as a "catastrophic reminder" of the imminent terrorist threat against Egypt, and expressed the organisation's condolences to the families of the victims.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attacks, which come only a few days after the army said it had foiled a plot by militants to attack several North Sinai checkpoints on Friday.

The army spokesperson said security forces were able to kill nine militants and injure 16 others last week.

The Egyptian army and police have been battling an entrenched Islamist insurgency for several years in North Sinai.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.