Last Update 22:14
Sunday, 12 July 2020

Cairo prosecutors question Doctors Syndicate head on Matariya Hospital incident

Hadeer El-Mahdawy , Saturday 28 Jan 2017
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2587
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2587

Cairo prosecutors concluded their questioning of the head of the Doctors Syndicate Hussein Khairy on Saturday with regards to the temporary closure of Cairo’s Matariya Hospital in early 2016, syndicate deputy head Mona Mina told Ahram Online.

The hospital was closed briefly in January 2016 after nine policemen assaulted doctors working at the hospital.

The prosecution summoned Khairy for questioning on the circumstances of the assault and the subsequent closure of the hospital.

Khairy was also questioned regarding six of the Matariya Hospital staff who were summoned for questioning by the prosecution earlier this month for allegedly “inciting to strike.”

“Khairy was dismissed by the prosecution without bail, and prosecution did not set a date for further questioning, so lawyers say there will likely be no further questioning,” Mina said.

The nine policemen were sentenced in September 2016 to three years in prison, and an EGP 5,000 fine.

The defendants were accused of the "unauthorised detention of two doctors," physical and verbal assault, cruelty and misuse of power.

The convictions stem from an attack on 28 January 2016 by several low-ranking policemen against doctors at Matariya Hospital in eastern Cairo, after one of the doctors refused to include fake injuries in a medical report for one of the policemen.

The incident prompted thousands of doctors to protest in February at the Doctors Syndicate, calling for the prosecution of the assailants and the resignation of the health minister.

Earlier this month, a Cairo appeals court reduced the sentence for two of the defendants to six months in prison.

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.