Egyptian prosecutors ordered Wednesday the detention for 15 days of over two dozen men arrested in Port Said protesting death sentences handed down to their relatives convicted of violence and murder-related charges over the 2012 Port Said Stadium massacre.
Twenty-five protestors were arrested late Monday as they set fire to tires and blocked roads before police clashed with the crowds, an Al-Ahram reporter in Port Said had said.
Last week, an Egyptian appeals court issued a final death sentence verdict for 10 defendants over murder-related charges in relation to deadly riots in 2012 that left 72 Ultras fans of Cairo's Al-Ahly club dead when rival Masry supporters attacked them following a league match in the coastal city of Port Said. The verdict was initially issued in June 2015.
The defendants were found guilty of charges of premeditated murder and attempted murder of Al-Ahly fans, thuggery, vandalism and theft.
In the same case, another 10 defendants received 15-year sentences, 15 received 10-year sentences, and 15 others received five-year sentences. One defendant received a one-year sentence while 21 defendants were acquitted.
Critics and some fans, however, believe the real culprits have remained untouched.
An Egyptian court banned in May 2015 Ultras fan clubs over terrorism concerns.