Egypt's health ministry said on Wednesday that three people died of suspected food poisoning in the Nile Delta governorate of Qaliobiya, state news agency MENA reported, the second such incident this week.
Eleven people from two related families in the Shubra El-Kheima district were hospitalised for symptoms of intestinal inflamation and suspected food poisoning including sudden vomiting, severe diarrhea and stomach ache, Amr Kandil, head of the preventive medicine sector said.
Among the afflicted were elderly people and children, who suffered from stronger symptoms. Six of the survivors were treated while two are still receiving treatment at the hospital.
The ministry is still investigating the cause of the incident. A committee of health ministry professors and epidemiologists from the ministry has been formed to monitor the situation and determine its origins.
On Tuesday, some 800 students from eight schools were hospitalised for suspected food poisoning after eating school meals in the Upper Egyptian governorate of Sohag.
Earlier in March, around 200 students were diagnosed with food poisoning after eating meals at two schools in the southern governorate of Minya.
Days later, 14 students in Upper Egypt's Assiut suffered food poisoning, prompting the health ministry to order a halt on the distribution of school meals in the governorate until food safety tests could be carried out.