Last Update 22:58
Tuesday, 17 October 2017

Egyptian and Italian prosecution determined on continued cooperation to find Regeni's killer: Joint statement

Ahram Online , Thursday 18 May 2017
Giulio Regeni
A file photo of late Giulio Regeni (Photo:Facebook)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1954
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1954

The office of Egypt’s prosecutor-general announced said it has handed over the files and records - requested in March by Italian prosecutors - of the investigation into the murder of Italian student Giulio Regeni in Cairo in 2016 to Rome’s assistant public prosecutor.

Rome’s assistant public prosecutor Sergio Colaiocco had arrived in Cairo Tuesday on a two-day visit with a delegation of Italian officials to hold talks with Egyptian counterparts about the latest developments in the Regini murder investigation.

The Egyptian and Italian prosecutions issued a joint statement on Wednesday saying that the two sides conducted “a thorough evaluation of all pending questions in the investigation and exchanged information” during their meeting.

Egyptian and Italian reaffirmed at the end of the meeting their absolute determination to continue their cooperation to find those responsible for abducting, torturing and killing Regini, the statement read.

Egyptian prosecutor-general Nabil Sadek told the Italian delegation that before the end of May Egypt will hand over footage from security cameras at Cairo metro stations after data recorded by cameras is retrieved, according to the statement.

Regeni, who was a PhD student at Cambridge University, had been in Cairo conducting research on independent trade unions for several weeks before he went missing on 25 January 2016. His body was found on 3 February 2016 on a roadside on the outskirts of Cairo, bearing signs of torture.

Egypt has been conducting an investigation into Regini's murder since his death.

This is the sixth meeting between Egyptian and Italian officials on the Regeni investigation. The last meeting between the officials took place in December 2016 when Sadek visited Rome to discuss updates in the investigation.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.