Last Update 21:41
Sunday, 21 July 2019

Egypt informs UN Security Council of airstrikes on Libyan terrorist hideouts, citing 'self defence'

The Egyptian military said Libyan terrorists took part in planning and executing an attack in Egypt's Minya governorate that left 29 Coptic Christians dead and injured at least 22 others

Ahram Online , Sunday 28 May 2017
Security Council
File photo: United Nations Security Council in session (Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3483
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3483

Egypt handed a letter to the head of the UN Security Council on Saturday, informing him of its recent airstrikes on terrorist hideouts in eastern Libya and citing its right to self-defence, Egypt's foreign ministry said in a statement.

Egypt, a non-permanent member in the UN Security Council, said in its letter, “The airstrikes that targeted the locations of terrorist organisations in Derna, eastern Libya, are in line with Article 51 of the UN Charter on self-defence and with the Security Council’s resolutions concerning terrorism.”

The airstrikes, conducted on Friday and Saturday, were in response to a terrorist gun-attack in Egypt on Friday that killed 29 people and left at least 22 others injured.

Unknown assailants driving three 4x4 trucks attacked a bus carrying Egyptian Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya governorate. The attackers sprayed the bus with automatic gunfire.

The Egyptian military said on Saturday that Libyan terrorist elements took part in planning and executing the Minya attack.

Egypt's airstrikes on Libyan targets are not the first in recent years.

In February 2015, the Egyptian military, in coordination with the Libyan military, carried out airstrikes against Daesh targets in Libya following the exectution of several Egyptians in Libya. The terrorists released a graphic video showing Daesh militants beheading Egyptian Coptic Christians who had been kidnapped inside Libya.

Friday's gun attack follows close on the heels of a double suicide bombing targeting Coptic Christians in Egypt.

On 9 April, suicide bombers attacked St George's Church in Tanta and St Mark's Cathedral in Alexandria, killing and injuring dozens in the deadliest attack against civilians in the country's recent history. A total of 29 people died in the Tanta explosion and 18 in Alexandria.

Cairo imposed a nationwide three-month state of emergency after the April bombings, with the option to extend for another three months dependent on a vote by parliament.

Coptic Christians make up about 10 percent of Egypt's population of 92 million.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.