Last Update 13:46
Friday, 20 April 2018

Long Live Egypt fund allocates EGP 185 mln for projects in North Sinai town after Al-Rawdah mosque massacre

Ahram Online , Monday 27 Nov 2017
Injured Bir-Abd
Ambulance vehicles transferring the injured in El-Rawda mosque terror attack in North Sinai's Bir Al-Abd city on Friday 24 November(Photo: Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3288
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3288

The North Sinai town of Bir Al-Abd, which was the scene of a terrorist massacre on Friday, is to receive EGP 185 million in funding for local services and development projects from the Long Live Egypt Fund, Mohamed El-Ashmawy, the executive director of the fund announced on Sunday.

Speaking on Amr Adib's Every Day television show on ONTV, El-Ashmawy said the fund, which was established by President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi in 2014 to carry out national projects, aims to provide the town with EGP 400 million in total and will raise the remaining EGP 215 million.

The move is part of the official response to the killing of at least 305 people and the wounding of 128 others during Friday prayers at Al-Rawdah Mosque.

The terrorist attack, conducted by up to 30 men in pick-up trucks, was the deadliest such incident in recent Egyptian history.

El-Ashmawy's comments follow the announcement on Sunday that the cabinet has authorized emergency compensation for those directly effected by the attack.

Cabinet spokesman Ashraf Sultan told the DMC Evening TV show that the governor of North Sinai will provide EGP 200,000 for each person killed and EGP 50,000 for each person injured, pending a decision from El-Sisi on final compensation levels.

Both Sultan and El-Ashmawy revealed plans for developing public services in the local area.

El-Ashmawy outlined a plan involving several elements: raising the efficiency of hospitals; upgrading nine schools; assisting the residents in producing handmade crafts; growing olives and dates; and establishing a market to sell local products.

He said that, in addition to raising the needed EGP 215 million, it will be necessary to source medical equipment and ambulances needed by local health services.

Sultan said the health, education, water and sanitation services would all be improved in the Bir Al-Abd area.

Sultan revealed a plan to supply food to those affected for the next three months, along with psychological rehabilitation services for children and women who lost their providers, whether it be a father, son or husband. No women died in the attack, but at least 27 childeren were killed.

Egypt's prosecutor-general said on Saturday that, according to eyewitnesses, 25 to 30 gunmen rode up to the mosque in five SUVs and started shooting at worshippers. The gunmen, some of whom wore masks, were flying the black flag of the Daesh terrorist group. However, so far, no group has claimed the responsibility for the attack.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.