Last Update 13:2
Wednesday, 11 December 2019

Middle school principal dismissed after students act out North Sinai terrorist attack: Ministry

Ahram Online , Wednesday 29 Nov 2017
Egypt education ministry (Al-Ahram)
Egypt education ministry (Al-Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3403
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3403

Egypt's education ministry has dismissed the principal of a middle school in Daqahliya governorate after staff reportedly organised a performance where students acted out last week's deadly attack on a mosque in North Sinai during the morning queue, with the ministry describing the performance as violent and political.

The ministry will investigate all school administrators and teachers responsible for the performance at the Yehia El-Adgham Middle School because they did not obtain security and administrative permits before organsing the act, ministry spokesman Ahmed Khairy said on Tuesday.

The education minister issued directives not to involve students in any politically related activities or address such matters.

"It is totally unacceptable to perform such acts that contain scenes of violence" at schools, the spokesman added.

Earlier this week, up to 30 gunmen attacked worshippers during Friday prayers at Al-Rawdah Mosque in the town of Bir Al-Abd in North Sinai, killing 305 people – including 27 children – and injuring 128.

The terrorist attack was the largest in Egypt's modern history.

Egypt's education ministry periodically issues books to schools discussing Egypt's counter-terrorism efforts, with a focus on the renunciation of violence and extremism and the promotion of tolerance and equality between citizens.

The spokesman said the performance, however, was not approved by the ministry.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.