Last Update 13:18
Sunday, 23 February 2020

Protesters in Tahrir Square dwindle, but sit-in is still ongoing

The numbers taking part in the current sit-in staged at Tahrir Square have markedly decreased this Saturday morning after thousands rallied on Friday

Ahram Online, Saturday 3 Dec 2011
Hundreds of protesters took part in yesterday’s funeral march (Photo: Mai Shaheen)
Views: 1022
Views: 1022

The number of protesters leftover in Tahrir Square from Friday’s mass rally has dwindled this Saturday morning.

The protest on Friday pressed for the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) to transfer power to a civilian administration, as well as to honour the revolution's martyrs by launching clean investigations and assuming financial responsibility for killing or injuring protesters.

Many tents are still set up in the central, once-grassy island that lead towards Tahrir Square, and protesters still block vehicles from passing through.

By end-of-day yesterday, live television broadcasts on several channels showed only hundreds left in the square.

The current ongoing sit-in was a backlash reaction starting 19 November after Central Security Forces (CSF) tried to forcibly evacuate the square following a million-man march that took place the day before.

The protesters that spent the night were families demanding that the government own up to their responsibility for the violence that caused the injury and death of their family members.

Clashes agitated between protesters and police personnel – who, according to many accounts, were indiscriminately beating people - as more demonstrators joined Tahrir to support the revolutionaries and the families of the martyrs sitting in the square.

The following week witnessed bloody confrontations between police forces and protesters in Mohamed Mahmoud Street, which branches from Tahrir Square towards the Ministry of Interior’s headquarters. Over 40 were killed and thousands injured in the ensuing violence, with protesters demanding SCAF disband step down immediately.

The protest tailed off after clashes with police halted, while numbers particularly diminished following the onset of parliamentary elections, which are still being held.

After yesterday’s mass demonstration, protesters left the square again. Some protesters, however, are still there - refusing to leave as long as SCAF is in power.


Short link:



© 2010 Ahram Online.