Seven people were killed and 55 were injured on Wednesday when a passenger train collided with a cargo train near Abu Khawi village in the Nile Delta's Beheira governorate, Egypt's prosecutor-general Nabil Sadek said in a statement on Wednesday evening.
Twenty-seven of the injured have been released from hospital.
Sadek has ordered that the trains' black boxes be examined to determine the cause of the crash.
The prosecutor-general also ordered the formation of a committee of experts in engineering and railways from several institutions – including the Armed Forces Engineering Authority and the State Railway Authority – to investigate the incident.
A state of emergency has been declared for all hospitals in major cities in Beheira governorate, including Damanhour, Wadi El-Natroun and Kafr El-Dawar.
The passenger train was en route to Alexandria, while the cargo train was heading to Cairo.
The Ministry of Health said after the crash that it had deployed 30 ambulances to transfer the injured to several hospitals in the governorate.
Governorate officials said earlier today that at least 16 people had been killed and 40 were injured in the accident.
Minister of Social Solidarity Ghada Wali ordered that urgent relief be provided to the injured and the families of the victims.
The last major train collision in Egypt took place in August 2017 in Alexandria, where 41 were killed and 179 were injured.