A fire broke out at the electricity ministry in Abbasiya district in Cairo on Tuesday, injuring at least eight people, health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said.
The injured, who were transported to nearby hospitals, suffered from smoke inhalation, according to Megahed.
Preliminary reports show that the fire broke out due to a short circuit, electricity ministry spokesman Ayman Hamza said.
Eight firefighting engines put out the blaze.
Roads around the busy district in central Cairo, where the ministry is located, were blocked for several hours.