Last Update 22:19
Friday, 10 July 2020

Egypt's foreign ministry following up on probe into assault on Egyptian woman in Kuwait

Ahram Online , Sunday 11 Nov 2018
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3277
Share/Bookmark
Views: 3277

Egypt's foreign ministry said on Sunday that it is following up on investigations by Kuwaiti authorities into a physical assault on a female Egyptian national in the Gulf country.

Last week, an Egyptian woman named Fatma Aziz shared a near six-minute video that went viral online of her crying and pleading for support as she recounted the incident.

Appearing in the video with a bandaged hand, Aziz alleged that a group of five Kuwaiti women beat her, tore her hair and "stepped on [her] face with their shoes" as they pinned her to the ground. She said the row erupted after a girl hit her child with a bicycle.

She said the women threatened to have her deported from the country.

The foreign ministry said in a statement on Sunday that it is "following up on the ongoing investigations into the incident with Kuwaiti authorities."

The ministry added that it has tasked the Egyptian consulate in Kuwait to contact the woman to "offer all necessary care and support."

This is the latest in a series of similar attacks on Egyptian expatriates in the Gulf country over the past few years.

In December 2017, Kuwaiti authorities arrested a Kuwaiti man after a video of him brutally assaulting an Egyptian man at a motorcycle shop went viral online.

In May 2016, another Kuwaiti national was arrested after footage of him verbally assaulting a naked Egyptian man and hitting him with a stick was shared online.

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.