Egyptian actress Rania Youssef was allowed to walk free on Wednesday after four hours of questioning over obscenity charges for wearing a revealing dress, a source at the public prosecution office told Ahram Online.
Youssef, 45, stirred uproar on social media last week after wearing a see-through dress that revealed her entire legs at the closing ceremony of a film festival in Cairo. Many accused her of disrespecting Egypt's cultural and ethical values.
The initial complaint was filed by a group of lawyers to Egypt's top prosecutor and she was then charged with public obscenity and "inciting debauchery." But they later said they decided to withdraw their legal action after Youssef made a public statement.
Youssef apologized earlier this week and said she did not expect the dress to cause much anger.
“I would like to apologise as an actress with good and positive credit with my fans,” she said on Twitter.
“I hope everyone can understand my good intentions and that I did not wish to anger anyone.”
But a trial has already been scheduled for 12 January.
The incident has prompted the actors' union to announce plans to investigate and penalize those who acted in a way that conflicts with the "traditions, values and ethics of the society.''