Egypt is following with “great concern” the recent developments and their repercussions in Sudan, and is calling on all Sudanese parties involved to exercise restraint and to return to the negotiations and dialogue table in order to achieve the aspirations of the Sudanese people, the Egyptian foreign ministry said in a statement on Monday.
Egypt also presents its condolences “to the families of the victims and wishes speedy recovery to the injured," read the statement, in reference to events in Khartoum on Monday.
Egypt is fully supporting Sudan at this critical time of its history, as well as fully supporting all the efforts to achieve a better future for its people based upon stability, development and prosperity, the statement said.
Earlier on Monday, Sudan's Transitional Military Council (TMC), which ousted Sudanese president Omar El-Bashir in April amid mass protests against his 30-year-old rule, said that security forces targeted criminal elements near a site of weeks-long sit-in outside the army headquarters, denying that authorities were trying to clear the camp.
According to a doctors' committee close to the protesters, who are demanding civilian rule, at least five people were killed and dozens injured.
Meanwhile, Lieutenant General Shams El Din Kabbashi told Reuters that the TMC remained committed to talks with the protesters and was ready to hold a meeting soon.