Violent protests against security forces, which many blame for the deaths of 74 people during a football riot in Port Said on Wednesday, left four dead in Suez and Cairo on Thursday night, the Egyptian health ministry has announced.
The ministry also said 1,690 people were injured.
In Suez, protesters laid siege to the police headquarters, leaving two dead from rubber bullet wounds, according to news reports.
Suez security chief, Adel Refaat, denied rubber bullets had been used, claiming only tear gas was fired at protesters.
“Some criminals are firing rubber bullets at the protesters; we only use tear gas to disperse the crowd. The people of Suez know how much I love the city’s youths, I never allow anyone to violently deal with them,” he said.
Tear gas was also used against protesters near the interior ministry in Cairo.
In Cairo, a protester died from pellet wounds while the Assistant Health Minister, Adel El-Adawy, announced that an army officer was killed after being run over by a military truck.
Protesters accuse the security forces of deliberately failing to intervene in Wednesday’s football riot in Port Said, when supporters of home side Masry stormed the pitch and attacked supporters of Cairo giants Ahly.
The event was one of Egypt’s worst catastrophes in recent decades.
Several marches and demonstrations are planned for Friday following noon prayers.