Egypt has condemned Israel's escalation in Jerusalem after it moved in earlier this week to demolish a cluster of Palestinian homes near a military barrier in the occupied West Bank.
Egypt warned against "the dangers of these actions on the efforts to achieve a just and comprehensive peace," the foreign ministry said in a statement late on Wednesday.
Security forces moved in to Sur Baher, on the edge of East Jerusalem, to tear down buildings which it said were built illegally too close to the separation barrier. However, residents say they had been given building permits by the Palestinian. The move has triggered a flurry of international criticism.
Egypt expressed "rejection of any actions that would change the status quo in Jerusalem in contravention of the relevant resolutions of international legitimacy and other international and humanitarian agreements," the statement added.
It stressed on "Egypt's firm stance in supporting the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people," and said it will continue to work to resume peace process negotiations based on a two-state solution.