Last Update 18:59
Friday, 23 August 2019

Egypt military council snubs US aid threat

Ruling military council says NGO case in judiciary's hands, justice ministry has 'damning evidence' against accused groups

Ahram Online, Thursday 9 Feb 2012
Annan
Egypt's Chief of Staff Sami Annan (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2573
Share/Bookmark
Views: 2573

Egypt's ruling military council has rejected US threats to end aid payments to the country. US-Egypt tensions have risen considerably following the decision to refer 43 civil society workers to a Cairo court on charges of violating laws regulating the operation of non-governmental organisations (NGOs).

A statement released on the council's official Facebook page stressed that Egypt is a country with a rich heritage that cannot be pressured or blackmailed into doing someone else's bidding. The council also added that Egypt's international relations with the US and others countries were governed by the common interests of both parties, and that "Egypt does not bow to the domination of anyone."

The council also added that the NGO case is in the hands of Egypt's judiciary, which will make the right decision. They also stressed that the Ministry of Justice had found damning evidence against the groups, including maps that feature plans to divide Egypt.

The amount of money that had been pumped into Egypt to spread chaos and disorder was difficult to assess at the moment, the council said, but they referred to statements made recently by El-Sayed El-Badawy, head of the liberal Wafd Party, who claimed that $300 million had been spent in Egypt to cause unrest.

Short link:

 

Email
 
Name
 
Comment's
Title
 
Comment
Ahram Online welcomes readers' comments on all issues covered by the site, along with any criticisms and/or corrections. Readers are asked to limit their feedback to a maximum of 1000 characters (roughly 200 words). All comments/criticisms will, however, be subject to the following code
  • We will not publish comments which contain rude or abusive language, libelous statements, slander and personal attacks against any person/s.
  • We will not publish comments which contain racist remarks or any kind of racial or religious incitement against any group of people, in Egypt or outside it.
  • We welcome criticism of our reports and articles but we will not publish personal attacks, slander or fabrications directed against our reporters and contributing writers.
  • We reserve the right to correct, when at all possible, obvious errors in spelling and grammar. However, due to time and staffing constraints such corrections will not be made across the board or on a regular basis.
1



Andy
10-02-2012 10:51pm
1-
0+
The plan for egypt is similar to the one for Libya and Syria
The plan for Egypt is the same as it was for Libya and Syria. A group of traitors armed and funded by the West to disrupt the peace and overthrow the government if the Muslim Brotherhood won the elections. in the second stage, conflict between Muslims and Christians starts. Alread started last years. Third stage. The guardian of democracy and human rights in the globe will interfere in Egypt to protect the minority. Hope the egyptians learn that Western governments do not care for the human rights of people in the Middle East. Where have they been in the past 60 years. All they care about is to subjucate them and rip them off their resources. It is expected that the Media in the West will start showing the autrosities committed by the Egyptian Military council to justify their interference in Egypt. But thank God there is China and Russa in the UN who now understand the gave of the West to control the world.
Email
 
Name
 
Comment's Title
 
Comment
Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.