Last Update 21:35
Sunday, 26 January 2020

Egypt's prosecutor orders release of more people arrested in September protests

Ahram Online , Wednesday 23 Oct 2019
Egypt
Small protest near Tahrir Square in Cairo, Egypt September 20, 2019. (Photo: Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1452
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1452
Egypt's prosecutor-general ordered on Wednesday the release of another group of people arrested during the anti-government protests that took place on 20 September.
 
A number of defendants who "were proved to have been present at protest venues and among demonstrators without the intention of protesting" would be released, the prosecutor-general's statement said.
 
Children, students, women and elderly men who took part in the protests but were not linked to groups that aim to undermine the state would also be released, it added.
 
Hundreds were arrested over the demonstrations which broke out on 20 September in Cairo and other cities following online calls for protests against alleged government and military corruption.
 
Egypt’s prosecutor-general said at the time that “not more than 1,000” people had been questioned over taking part in the protests. Some people were earlier released.
 
Wednesday's statement said a team of prosecutors met with 35 inmates at Cairo's main Tora prison to check their living conditions and found prison rooms, the hospital and kitchens were "appropriate".
 
This comes on the back of reports by rights groups about the poor conditions of Egyptian prisons, including inadequate medical care.
Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.