The media spokesman for the Democratic Front, a splinter group from the influential April 6 Youth Movement, denied his group was involved in any way with the attack on a campaign rally for Amr Moussa in the Delta governorate of Sharqiya on Monday.
The spokesperson said that no member of the April 6 Youth Movement was present on the scene.
After Moussa's rally was attacked, leaving 12 people injured, the potential presidential contender accused, in a phone interview on the talk show Misr El-Gedida with Moataz of the satellite channel El-Hayat, the April 6 Movement of orchestrating the episode.
He also voiced suspicions that other presidential candidates were involved, although he didn't mention any by name. Whoever attacked his rally in Sharqiya will face charges, Moussa insisted.
Moussa also said that he expects to be assassinated.
Stone-throwers attacked Amr Moussa's rally, shattering car windows and chairs, and forced Moussa's supporters to call off the event minutes before he toop the microphone.
Moussa posted on his Twitter account that the government’s responsibility to secure presidential elections "started now."
He also stated that "repeated attacks on presidential candidates and members of their campaigns is unacceptable."
Another potential presidential candidate, Abdel Moneim Aboul Fotouh was attacked by unidentified individuals on Friday in an apparent car-jacking scheme.
Amr Moussa was the Secretary General of the Arab League for ten years. He had previously served in the Egyptian government as the Minister of Foreign Affairs under ousted president Hosni Mubarak.