Last Update 11:29
Friday, 10 April 2020

Port Said football violence indictments to be served within 48 hours: Official

Prosecutors will issue formal indictments imminently for last month's deadly stadium violence, interior ministry official says

Ahram Online, Sunday 4 Mar 2012
Share/Bookmark
Views: 734
Share/Bookmark
Views: 734

Assistant Minister of Interior for the Port Said Security Sameh Radwan on Sunday declared that formal charges in the 1 February Port Said football tragedy – which left more than 70 dead and hundreds injured – would be announced within 48 hours.

So far, 54 individuals have been detained pending investigation for suspected complicity in the incident.   

Formal charges in the case will be based on the findings of ongoing investigations overseen by Suez Canal and Sinai Prosecution Attorney-General  Judge Magdy Labib.

Some 73 football fans, mostly supporters of Egypt’s Ahly club, were killed on 1 February after fans of the rival Masry club stormed the pitch following an Egyptian League match.

Government critics have blamed the carnage on negligence on the part of Egyptian police and security forces.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.