Egypt’s Health Minister Hala Zayed says that 300 families have been placed under quarantine in the Nile Delta’s Daqahliya governorate after a number of coronavirus cases were detected and a second death was confirmed in the governorate on Monday.
The Egyptian health ministry announced on Monday that the total number of coronavirus infections in the country had risen to 166 and the deaths to four after the detection of 40 new cases and two more deaths.
The two new deaths are of a German citizen, 72, in Luxor, and an Egyptian man, 50, from Daqahliya governorate who was in contact with a woman who died from the virus last week.
In a phone interview with Al-Hekaya late night TV show, Zayed said that the ministry is stepping up preventive measures to combat the spread of the virus in Daqahliya and other governorates.
Minister Zayed ordered tighter preventive measures in Daqahliya, Damietta, and Minya governorates, which have a large number of cases.
The health ministry said on Monday that it has ended the quarantine of over 2,700 workers at the Khalda Petroleum company, where the second coronavirus case was detected in a Canadian national early in March.
The ministry said it was sure none of the workers had contracted the virus.
Egypt upped its preventive measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus by suspending international flights to and from the country from 19 till 31 March at all airports nationwide as well as reducing the presence of public sector employees.
The country has also closed schools and universities for two weeks and allocated a EGP 100 billion fund to finance a "comprehensive" plan to stop the spread of the virus.