Last Update 7:13
Tuesday, 02 June 2020

Egypt reports 39 new coronavirus cases, death toll rises to 24

Ahram Online , Thursday 26 Mar 2020
COVID-19
A police officer stands at the Qasr El Nil street during the first day of a two-weeks night-time curfew which ordered by the Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly to contain the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Cairo, Egypt March 25, 2020. (Reuters)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 6762
Share/Bookmark
Views: 6762

Egypt’s health ministry said on Thursday that 39 new coronavirus cases have been detected, bringing the total number to 495, while three more people have died from the virus.

The new fatalities were all Egyptians from Cairo governorate, the ministry said, describing them as a 60-year-old woman, a 72-year-old man, and a 78-year-old man.

The total number of fatalities is now 24.

The 39 newly detected cases include one Libyan national; the remainder are all Egyptian.

All were in contact with positive cases that were previously announced, the ministry said.

The ministry added in a statement that seven cases – six Egyptians and one foreigner – have fully recovered and left isolation hospitals on Thursday.

The number of positive cases whose have subsequently tested positive has reached 130, of whom 102 have now left hospital.

“All the positive coronavirus cases are in isolation hospitals and are undergoing medical treatment according to World Health Organization guidelines,” health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said.

Egypt this week imposed a nationwide curfew from 7pm to 6am as part of stricter measures to reduce the spread of the coronavirus the country.

It has also suspended international flights, shuttered schools and universities, halted public entertainment activities and mass prayers and reduced the number of public sector employees working at state institutions. 

Search Keywords:
Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.