Thousands of football supporters and political activists marched to the High Court in downtown Cairo on Thursday to demand justice for the victims of the Port Said Stadium disaster which left at least 74 people dead on 1 February at a match between Masry and Ahly.
The march was organised by Ultras Ahlawy – the hardcore supporters group of Ahly – and set off from the Ahly club in Zamalek. They were joined by the Ultras White Knights of rival Cairo club Zamalek.
The protesters chanted against the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) and the interior ministry and carried banners calling for revenge against the killers of their dead comrades.
Earlier on Thursday, Prosecutor-General Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud ordered the detention of 75 suspects in relation to the disaster, including Port Said's head of security and his three assistants.
Mohamed Tarek, an Ultras Ahlawy spokesman, explained that during the forty-five days since the disaster they have been suffering because nothing has been done to bring to justice the perpetrators and the biased media has turned the public against them by making false accusations.
“We demand specific charges, not just a general accusation for all of them like what happened this morning,” Tarek said. “We also demand a fair and speedy trial.”
Making general charges against all 75 accused could result in convicting only certain people, Tarek said. The head of security and his officials, for example, might be accused of “failing to fulfil their duties, not murder."
Relatives of people killed in Port Said carried pictures of their loved ones. Samiha Osama Salah, whose brother Ahmed Osama died at the match, said she attended the protest because “we are seeking a fair penalty for those who killed my brother. I’d rather die in revenge, than keep living knowing the killers are out there unpunished. Nothing will make me stop.”