Last Update 19:16
Wednesday, 12 August 2020

Egypt's press syndicate reports two new coronavirus cases among journalists

Both are in stable condition in hospital, the Journalists Syndicate said

Ahram Online , Friday 8 May 2020
Press syndicate
File Photo: Egypt's press syndicate (Photo: Ahram)
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1974
Share/Bookmark
Views: 1974

Egypt's press syndicate has said there are two new coronavirus cases among journalists, coming just a week after the first journalist death from the virus in the country.

In a statement on Thursday, the Journalists Syndicate’s health care and social committee said the two cases were a trainee reporter in the Red Sea and a member of the syndicate.

They are both in a stable condition, the committee said, adding that the first case was of a journalist who directly contacted the committee’s head on 30 April to report symptoms including high fever and pain, and who was transferred to an Imbaba isolation hospital.

The trainee is currently at an isolation hospital in the Red Sea, where he is receiving medical care.

The committee also said it has received reports that five relatives of journalists registered with the syndicate had contracted the virus since the beginning of the committee’s operation on 24 March.

All five cases have subsequently recovered, according to the committee.

Egyptian journalist Mahmoud Riad died in hospital last week, becoming the country's first journalist to die from the coronavirus.

A statement by Egypt's press syndicate at the time said that Riad, who worked at Al-Khamis newspaper, had been transferred to Agouza quarantine hospital and died two weeks later.

Egypt reported a daily record of 393 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, bringing the total tally up to 7,981.

Short link:

 

Latest

© 2010 Ahram Online.