President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi discussed in a phone call Friday with France's Emmanuel Macron the latest developments in Libya, including Egypt’s initiative to end the crisis in the neighboring North African country, the Egyptian presidency said.
Sisi briefed his French counterpart on the ongoing Egyptian efforts to reach a political settlement to the crisis in Libya in light of the "Cairo Declaration," presidency spokesman Bassam Rady said in a statement.
Egypt's proposal, which it made last week, called for a ceasefire that would pave the way for electing a leadership council for Libya. The initiative also called for the withdrawal of foreign troops from Libya.
Several powers welcomed the proposal, including the United States, Russia, UAE and Saudi Arabia.
Macron also welcomed the Cairo Declaration, highlighting its importance in prioritizing a political solution and heaping praise on Egypt's efforts to restore peace in Libya.
According to Rady, the two presidents agreed to continue their joint coordination to put the provisions of the Cairo Declaration into effect, including supporting the Libyan National Army (LNA) in fighting terrorism and armed groups.
The Cairo plan came after the recent collapse of an offensive launched by LNA commander Khalifa Haftar in April 2019 to capture Libyan capital Tripoli, further extending the Government of National Accord’s (GNA) control of most of northwest Libya.
Sisi and Macron also discussed developing joint cooperation in various fields and enhancing the "distinct relations" between both countries, Rady added.