Egypt detected 1,569 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, bringing the total infection tally to 61,130 since the outbreak was first reported in the country in February, the health ministry has announced.
The ministry also reported 83 new deaths caused by the pandemic, bringing the total fatalities to 2,533.
Thursday infection toll is up from 1,420 cases detected on Wednesday; yet remains lower than Egypt's daily record high of 1,774 detected last week.
The statement said that 403 patients have been discharged from hospitals, with the overall number of recoveries standing at 16,338.
Health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said that the number of people whose test results have turned from positive to negative, including the new recoveries, has now reached 17,841.
The steady increase in cases comes as Egypt is phasing out its overnight coronavirus curfew as of Saturday, along with mitigating some other precautions in a move meant to coexist with the super-spreading disease and contain economic impacts caused by the contagion.
Starting Saturday, Egypt will reopen restaurants, cafes, and sporting clubs at maximum capacity of 25 percent during what the government has said is the first stage of reopening.
Cafes and restaurants will now be allowed to open until 10pm, while shops will be required to close at 9pm instead of the current 6pm. A shisha ban will remain in place.
Religious venues will be allowed to host daily prayers under certain conditions, with postponing holding mass prayers to a later stage.
The country also is resuming receiving and operating international flights at all its airports on Wednesday, but foreign tourists will only be allowed into three coastal governorates: South Sina, Hurghada, and the Red Sea.