Egypt detected 161 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, reporting a total infection tally of 96,914 since the outbreak in mid-February, the health ministry announced.
The ministry also reported 13 new deaths, bringing the total deaths from the virus to 5,197.
The statement said that 991 patients were discharged from hospitals on Wednesday, bringing the total number of recoveries to 62,553.
Earlier today, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said that the country has not yet emerged from the crisis despite the fall in daily detected infections and deaths, urging the necessity of strictly adhering to preventive measures nationwide.
He referred to an address by President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi earlier this week where he asked citizens to continue to follow all preventive measures to “avoid a second wave in infections and deaths” similar to those seen in several countries.
Madbouly affirmed the necessity of adhering to all preventive measures, including wearing facemasks, maintaining social distancing and others, to avoid a spike in the infection rate.
His statements came following a meeting by the higher committee for coronavirus management, where ministers discussed preparations for the fall and winter seasons, which experts warn could see a worse outbreak of the virus.
Madbouly stressed that isolation hospitals, affiliated health ministry hospitals and armed forces hospitals nationwide continue to operate to receive and treat any coronavirus patients.
Madbouly also affirmed that efforts are continuing to provide medication and medical equipment as well as 2.5 million seasonal influenza vaccine doses in the coming period.
The meeting also saw discussions on global efforts to develop a vaccine for the virus, Madbouly said, adding that the government would be ready to purchase and provide a vaccine for citizens as soon as one is approved globally.
Egypt fears a possible resurgence of higher infections due to the holidays, the latest being Eid Al-Adha earlier this month, reversing the downward trend of new infections and deaths in recent weeks, which came despite the lifting of lockdown measures at the end of June.
The government said in July that it may resort to adopting the strict preventative measures it had imposed earlier to fight the coronavirus, including reclosing activities and re-imposing a nighttime curfew if the infection rate rises again.