Egypt reported 1,001 new coronavirus cases on Friday, bringing the total infection tally to 147,810 cases since the outbreak began in February.
The health ministry also reported 56 new deaths, bringing the total number of deaths from the virus to 8,085.
The statement said that 754 patients have been discharged after recovering from the virus, bringing the total number of recoveries to 117,529.
Egypt entered the second wave of the pandemic in the last week of December after it recorded double the number of infections daily.
Authorities have warned of a spike in COVID-19 cases since November, as the general public have been showing a relaxed enforcement of the preventive measures since a drop in confirmed cases has been recorded in the past months.
Officials said they will exercise “zero tolerance” against people who fail to adhere to preventive measures against the pandemic.
The government began enforcing an immediate fine of EGP 50 (approximately $3.16) on those not wearing face masks in public since the first week of January in an effort to stem the spread of the coronavirus in the overpopulous country during the second wave of the pandemic.