Egypt reported 887 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, bringing the total infection tally to 155,507 since the outbreak began in mid-February.
The health ministry also reported 54 new deaths, bringing the total number of deaths from the virus to 8,527.
The statement said that 499 patients have been discharged after recovering from the virus, bringing the total number of recoveries to 122,291.
Egypt entered the second wave of the pandemic in the last week of December as it began recording double the number of infections daily in comparison with the preceding months.
However, detected daily cases have been been varying in the past week.
Officials said they will exercise “zero tolerance” against people who fail to adhere to preventive measures against the pandemic.
Egypt began imposing an immediate fine of EGP 50 (approximately $3.16) on those not wearing face masks in public since January.
The move is meant to stem the spread of the coronavirus in the overpopulous country during the second wave of the pandemic.